Rotolo di Pizza Ripieno is essentially rolled and stuffed pizza. The filling can be whatever takes your fancy, although I would avoid using buffalo mozzarella, which is very wet and may make the dough soggy. Instead use a firmer cow’s mozzarella or a smoked provolone.
In my recipe I have used cow’s mozzarella with roasted red peppers, roasted red onions, spinach and basil. Just before cooking brush the top with olive oil, then sprinkled on coarse salt, chopped herbs and garlic to add flavour and texture to the crust.
Making your own pizza dough may sound like a bit of an ordeal but it is in fact remarkably simple. Whisk a teaspoon of dried yeast and a tablespoon of sugar into 330ml of lukewarm water. Stir this into 600g of strong white flour, adding 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Knead until smooth, cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm spot to prove. When it has double in size knock back and proof for a second time. Your dough is now ready to use.
Rotolo di Pizza Ripieno
Serves 4 – 6
Preparation time 40 minutes (plus waiting for the dough to prove)
Cooking time for the filling approx. 30 minutes
Final cooking time approx. 30 minutes
Pizza dough – above 250g tomato sauce 2 roasted red peppers – peeled, seeds removed, sliced 2 red onions – peeled, sliced & roasted 250g cows mozzarella – torn into pieces 250g washed spinach – cooked in garlic oil, seasoned & squeezed dry 50g grated Parmesan 1 clove garlic – chopped a few pinches of chopped thyme & rosemary Maldon salt Olive oil
- Roll out your dough into a rectangle and smear sparingly with the tomato sauce (you may not need it all), leaving a border of about an inch all around it.
- Scatter over the roast peppers, onions, spinach, Parmesan & mozzarella.
- Roll the dough up as you would a roulade. Bring in the ends to form a circle.
- Place on a non-stick baking tray.
- Cover with a tea towel & leave to prove for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat your oven to 190C.
- Brush with olive oil & sprinkle with salt flakes, rosemary, thyme & garlic.
- Bake for 30 minutes. The top should be lovely and golden.
- Allow to cool before wrapping & packing into the picnic basket.
- Serve with a selection of delicious antipasto.