Smoky Bacon Beans, Garlic Kale & Grilled Soda Bread
500g dried cannellini beans – soaked overnight
Splash olive oil 200g – smoked streaky bacon in one piece – chunky dice
2 red onions- finely chopped
2 cloves garlic – finely chopped
2 chipotle chili
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 tablespoons tomato puree
2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
200ml red wine vinegar
100g soft brown sugar 500ml water
- Cover the soaked beans in cold water & bring to the boil.
- Drain, then return to the pot, cover again in cold water & simmer for 1 hour.
- In a large pot heat the oil over a medium heat & sauté the bacon until golden.
- Add the onions & garlic and cook until soft.
- Add the paprika & cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chili, vinegar, sugar & water & bring to the boil.
- Drain the beans, add to the tomato sauce & simmer for 1 hour or until the beans are soft & the sauce has thickened.
- Adjust the seasoning & serve with grilled or toasted soda bread and garlic kale.
- To make the kale cook for 1 minutes in boiling water. Then drain and sauté for 1 minute in garlic infused olive oil to dry off the leaves and infuse with flavour. Season.