This is a delicious Malaysian soup packed full of deep flavours and enhanced with the lovely aniseed tang of fennel.
To make the laksa paste simply chop 1 inch of peeled ginger and 2 sticks of lemongrass. Blitz in a food processor with 2 red chilies (remove the seeds if you don’t want it too hot), 2 cloves of garlic, 1 shallot, a teaspoon of ground coriander, and a slug of vegetable oil, until it reaches a fine paste.
Crab, Fennel & Coconut Laksa with Noodles, Bok Choy, Thai Basil
3 tablespoons laksa paste
1 tablespoon tamarind paste
800ml coconut milk
600ml chicken, vegetable or fish stock
100ml Soy sauce
50ml fish sauce
1 fennel bulb – cut lengthwise into 8 wedges
250g noodles – pre-cook & refreshed in iced water
2 bok choy – rough chop
3 spring onions – finely sliced
250g white crab meat
Purple or Thai Basil
- Heat a large pot & gentle sauté the paste for 1 minute, stirring well.
- Add the tamarind, stock, coconut milk, soy sauce & fish sauce & bring to the boil.
- Add the fennel & simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the noodles & bok choi. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the crab meat & a good squeeze of lime juice.
- Sprinkle over the spring onions & basil. Serve.