A delicately spiced canapé – perfect for a summer garden party.
It’s important that the onions are cooked until soft before adding any further ingredients as it enhances the flavour & improves the texture. When using ground spices always allow them to fry for a few minutes otherwise they taste raw.
Lamb, Sweet Potato & Cinnamon Briks – makes about 50
500g lamb mince
1 sweet potato – peeled & grated
1 onion – finely diced
1 red chili – seeded & chopped
2 cl garlic – smashed
1/2 inch ginger – peeled & grated
1 teaspoon each ground cumin & coriander
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon of corn flour – mixed in a little cold water
handful flat leaf parsley, mint, coriander – chopped
pinch orange zest
- Sweat the onion in a thin layer of olive oil with a generous pinch of salt until soft.
- Add the garlic, chili & ginger & cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the spices & cook out for 3 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, cinnamon & bay leaf & cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the lamb mince & orange zest & cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the cornflour & cook until it thickens.
- Remove from the heat & stir in the chopped herbs.
- Adjust the seasoning and leave to cool.
- Lay out a leaf of filo, brush with butter & cut into 6 across the shorter width.
- Place a spoonful of mix in the bottom left corner & roll into a triangle.
- Keep folding up the length to form a triangular parcel.
- Brush with butter & chill.
- Bake at 190C until golden.
- Serve with ginger infused yoghurt.