These oatcakes are very simple to make and they have a far better taste and texture than anything you can buy in the shops. It is very important that you cool them on a rack in a single layer, as this allows the air to circulate and the moisture to escape evenly.
500g fine oatmeal
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
200g water – room temperature
- Mix the first 3 ingredients together.
- Rub in the butter – no lumps.
- Mix in water to form dough.
- Sprinkle some oatmeal on table and roll 4mm thick.
- Cut & lay on greaseproof paper. Chill
- Pre-heat oven to 200C.
- Bake until golden – about 30 minutes.
- Cool on a rack.