I have spent the last few days with an idea for a new starter in my head. This morning I put it on paper and asked Luis, my sous chef at The Guildford Arms Restaurant, to give it a try. It was delicious, packed with autumnal flavours and deeply satisfying; it’s going on the menu tonight.
Butter Roast Quail with Pearl Barley, Smoked Garlic & Confit Shallot Risotto, Carrot & Swede Puree, Tarragon Jus
- Blanche pearl barley until just cooked.
- Roast the smoked garlic until soft. Peel & rough chop.
- Confit the shallots in olive oil with thyme.
- Chop shallot into small dice
- Boil the carrot & swede. Mash with plenty of butter. Season well with salt & lots of black pepper. Needs to be smooth and quite loose.
- Reheat the pearl barley with a little chicken stock, stir in chopped shallot & garlic, butter, Parmesan & chopped parsley.
- Roast quail with butter & thyme.
- Heat red wine jus & add chopped tarragon.
- Serve quail breast on risotto, line of puree (wet) & drizzle jus.