I am really looking forward to Tuesday the 15th of November, as it marks the start of a collaboration between The Guildford Arms and the Cheeseboard. Our first evening is a cheese and beer tasting, and will feature beers from the world famous Meantime Brewery.
To mark the event I will be making some cheese based canapes, such as Mini Jacket Potatoes with Goats Cheese, Chives & Black Olive Tapanade and Baby Gem with Roquefort and Toasted Walnuts. The walnuts unfortunately won’t be coming from the tree in my garden as I only harvested three, but they will be delicious all the same.
The other canape I plan to do Welsh Rarebit with Beetroot & Red Onion Chutney; perfect on a cold winters night.
150g Strong Cheddar
1 teaspoon English Mustard
1/2 teaspoon Flour
Dash Worcestershire Sauce
- Heat the milk over a low heat and whisk in the grated cheese until melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the mustard, flour, Worcestershire sauce and salt.
- Cool a little, then beat in the egg.
- Spread over some thick slices of bread and grill until golden
Beetroot & Red Onion Chutney
1 Red onion
150ml White wine vinegar
150ml Caster sugar
1/2 Tbsp Cornflour
- Finely slice red onions.
- Sweat in olive oil.
- Peel & grate raw beetroot. Add to onions
- Add white wine vinegar and caster sugar.
- Cook, gentle and covered for 30 minutes.
- Thicken liquid with cornflour paste