This salad is a very simple yet all the components work extraordinarily well together. The crisp baby gem lettuce is dressed with a fairy thick lemon dressing and it provides the base to the dish. The croutons add some crunch, and the soft boiled egg gives richness. The marinated anchovies provide the dish with a sharp burst of intense flavour, which both highlights and compliments the other, more gentle flavours.
20 marinated anchovy fillets
2 Baby Gem – washed & dried
2 Soft Boiled Eggs
- For the dressing whisk 2 egg yolks with the juice of 1 lemon and a teaspoon of Dijon mustard. Gradually whisk in some light oil until it reaches the consistency of runny mayonnaise. Season to taste.
- Boil the eggs for 5 minutes then plunge into ice water to cool. This will stop the cooking process ensuring the yolk remains bright yellow and soft.
- Once cool, peel and cut in half.
- To make the croutons dice some bread into bite sized pieces and shallow fry in olive oil until crispy. Drain and blot off any excess oil with kitchen paper.
- Cut the baby gem into bite sized pieces & dress with the lemon dressing.
- Arrange on a plate & then scatter over some croutons & 5 anchovy fillets.
- Top with half an egg, a twists of black pepper & the chopped chives.