This is a very tasty vegetarian dish that always proves popular when we put it on the menu at the pub. Roast the peppers first until they are soft before stuffing, then return to the oven to gratinate. Pre-cook the leeks in plenty of boiling water until they are tender and then refresh in ice cold water to prevent them discolouring.
Once you have stuffed the peppers sprinkle over a generous layer of breadcrumbs and Gruyère and drizzle over some olive oil. Return to the oven for about 10 minutes by which time the peppers should have charred slightly at the edges and the cheesy topping turned golden.
Roasted Mixed Peppers with Leek & Gruyère – serves 4
2 red peppers
2 yellow peppers
2 leeks – cut into strips
2cl garlic- finely chopped
2 sprigs rosemary – finely chopped
splash olive oil
100g grated Gruyere
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise & remove seeds & membrane.
- Sprinkle over the garlic & rosemary & drizzle with olive oil. Season.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Blanche the leeks for 2 minutes in boiling water & plunge into ice water.
- Squeeze out the water & season.
- Fill the cooked peppers with the leek & sprinkle over the cheese & breadcrumbs.
- Season & drizzle over some olive oil.
- Turn oven up to 200C & cook until the topping is golden & crunchy.
- Serve with a mixed bean salad or lentils.