Soda bread is both nutritious and delicious. Unlike yeast leavened bread it doesn’t require proving and rising as the baking powder works its magic in the oven. As a result it is fairly straightforward to prepare.
Having said that there are a couple of points to pay attention to. Firstly you don’t want to overwork the dough, as this will make it tough. Mix the ingredients and then very gently push together; resisting all temptation to knead. It’s also important to cut a cross in the top. Not, however, “to let the devil out” as was once suggested. It simply allows the bread to expand and rise.
250g Plain flour
250g Wholemeal flour
150g Rolled oats
2tsp Bicarbonate of soda
1Tbsp Black treacle
- Preheat oven 200C·
- Mix dry ingredients in large bowl·
- Make well in centre & add honey, treacle and buttermilk.
- Stir together.
- Bring together with floured hands and form into flattish round.
- Cut cross in top with a knife.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- Transfer to rack and cover with damp clothes.