The perfect winter warmer, my recipe is based on the classic French beef casserole, in which cubes of beef shin are cooked slowly in Burgundy (pinot noir) with pearl onions, button mushrooms and bacon lardons.
Venison “Bourguignon” Casserole with Celeriac Mash – serves 4
- Pre-heat the oven to 150C
- Season 600g of diced venison and fry in a little oil in a hot pan until golden brown. Cook in batches if necessary.
- In a large pot sweat 300g of baby onions until they begin to colour.
- Add 100g of streaky bacon cut into lardons and 15 button mushrooms, which have been cut in half.
- Add the venison (and any juices) and 1 tablespoon of tomato puree. Stir to mix it all together.
- Pour in a bottle of red wine and 100ml of water.
- Bring to the boil and add a bouquet garni of thyme, bay and rosemary.
- Cover with a lid and cook in the oven for 2 hours – or until tender.