I love Christmas Pudding with Brandy Cream but if you don’t, or if you just fancy a change this Christmas, then how about making a gorgeous Bread and Butter Pudding from luxurious Panettone instead.
Panettone is traditional Italian Christmas cake. Rich, buttery and full of orangey flavour it will bring your Bread & Butter Pudding to undreamt of heights. Simple to make and totally delicious Panettone Bread & Butter Pudding has all the hallmarks of a modern Christmas Classic.
Making your own custard is a little more tricky, so I won’t hold it against you if you cheat. If you do want to make it yourself this version contains a little cornflour, which helps to stabilise and thicken it. Making it, at least in theory, easier to control than a Crème Anglaise. When incorporating the Mascarpone it’s important to add some warm custard to the Mascarpone first and mix until smooth. You can then mix it back into the custard. Try to mix it straight in and you’ll end up with lumps of Mascarpone floating in the custard.
Panettone Bread & Butter Pudding with Mascarpone Custard – serves 6
- Pre-heat the oven to 150C.
- Bring 200ml of milk & 300ml of double cream to the boil.
- Whisk 3 eggs with 100g of caster sugar, the juice and zest from 1 orange, and the seeds from 1 vanilla pod. Add the hot milk and whisk together.
- Slice the Panettone (500g) into 8 thick slices and butter generously.
- Butter a ceramic dish and lay down 1 layer of buttered Panetonne.
- Cover with the liquid and repeat until you have 3 layers.
- Sprinkle the top with soft brown sugar and gently press.
- Place the dish in a deep oven tray, pouring in enough boiling water to come half way up the sides of the dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes – until a golden brown crust forms.
- For the Mascarpone custard bring 500ml of milk to the boil
- Whisk 6 egg yolks with 75g of caster sugar, 40g of corn flour, 50ml of cold milk and the seeds from a vanilla pod.
- Pour in hot milk and whisk.
- Cook over a low heat stirring constantly until it thickens.
- Remove from heat and whisk a ladleful into 100g of mascarpone. Once smooth whisk that back into the custard.
- Pass through a fine sieve into a serving jug.